If you’re ready for a cuteness overload, then read on! This feature is all about one of our absolutely favourite things – pets at weddings. Yes, we just can’t get enough of four-legged wedding guests so today, we’re running through everything you need to know if you’re planning your wedding day pet policy. Just remember – man’s best friend is also the happy couple’s best friend too!
Why do people have pets at weddings?
Well, we can answer that question with just one word – love. If you have a pet, then it really is part of the family and the thought of your beloved hound not being with you for such a momentous occasion isn’t a nice one. As weddings have become more flexible and able to reflect the personality of the couple in question, it’s become more and more common for pets to pop up as part of the celebrations.
Pet-friendly wedding venues
If you’re going on to another venue for the rest of your day, why not make sure that it’s pet-friendly too. More and more hotels will allow you to bring dogs and pets into their grounds and some of the public rooms. Most also have dog friendly bedrooms too and some even provide dog beds, bowls and treats.
Tips for a pet-friendly wedding
If you’re inviting pets to your wedding, you’ll want them to enjoy themselves as much as all of your other guests. Here are a few tips to make sure that everyone has a truly paw-some day!
- Remember that as much as we LOVE photos of dogs wearing floral collars, you need your dog to be comfortable wearing something like this. A decorated ‘normal’ collar, bandana, bow tie or decorated lead might be a safer option.
- Is there a friend or family member who can be the designated dog-minder for the day? Ideally it needs to be someone your dog knows and will be happy with (and someone who’ll be happy to spend the day with your dog!)
- As the saying goes, don’t ever work with pets or children! If you’re hoping to include your pet in your ceremony in some way, you need to accept the fact that they might not play ball. Always have a Plan B.
- If you can take your pet to your venue for a familiarization visit or two before the big day, they’ll be much more comfortable in their surroundings come the big day.
- Pack a little bag for your pooch so they’ve got everything they’ll need for the day – lead, collar, poo bags, food, water & food bowl, a few treats, a favourite toy and even their bed or blanket.
For even more pet perfection, take a look at this Pinterest board we’ve put together. It’s one of our favourites and it’s super popular with our couples too. If you’d like to arrange a time to visit us to talk about your pet-friendly wedding, you can do so here and we’ll be sure to give you pet a very warm welcome!